Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Easy Homemade Granola

How appropriate that my first post is about FOOD. I am notorious for bringing my own homemade food wherever I go and this granola is something I almost always have with me. After many requests for the recipe, I thought it was a good idea to post it. Here you go.

Easy Homemade Granola

1/2 c. Sucanat or Rapadura (dehydrated sugar cane)
1/2 c. Coconut Oil
1/2 c. Honey
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 c. chopped nuts ( I like almonds & walnuts)
1/4 c. freshly milled flax seeds
1/2 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 c. chia seeds
7 c. Old fashioned rolled oats

In a large pan (I use a big commercial size steamer pan) mix all dry ingredients.

Mix Sucanat, coconut oil, and honey in a saucepan over med heat until sucanat is mostly dissolved. 
Remove from heat and add vanilla. 
Pour oil, sucanat & honey mixture over dry mix and stir well until blended.
Bake at 250 degrees and stir every 10-15 min. for about an hour or until mixture is dry & toasty.  After it cools you can add dried fruit. We like raisins or cranberries. 



This stores well in the pantry and has a long shelf life. I store it in a 2 gallon glass cookie jar and it stays fresh for months.

Now, you can eat this by itself, pour milk over it and eat it like cereal, use it as a topping for yogurt or ice cream or add some mixed nuts, sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds and dried fruit and make a yummy trail mix. There are so many possibilities! 
How ever you decide to eat this, you can feel good knowing you have made a yummy and nutritious snack for your family. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment